[SECC] ARRL 10

Ed Sleight k4sb@mindspring.com
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 20:12:05 +0000

Well, this was one strange contest. I completely agree with John and the
others that propagation was weird. Couple of things I noted was at about
2100Z, a very short window opened to EU on a beam heading of 330 or so.

Also, at 2330 on Sunday, I had the beam due South, and a couple of EUs
called me along with a UA9...Band to EU closed like a trap about 30 mins
before local sundown. Also, absolutely no real long skip at any time to
EU.

Somehow, I get the idea that where you had your beam pointed, with the
exception of SA, made very little difference. Also, signals were
definitely Polar/Aurora in many cases. Got a couple of very good runs on
CW, but absolutely no luck on SSB.

Operated both modes, low power, assisted, and only missed KS and DC on
CW.+ a couple of the VE providences...SSB was ridiculous! Who ever heard
of not getting PA or MA, along with about 10 others? Zeros were a
definite problem here, and the 5s to some extent.

Anyway, this is how it looks.
CW   487 Qs, 56 Countries
SSB  268     44
Total 755 Qsos 511,292 points to the SECC.

Best fun was having John call me, and I intentionally sent the wrong
call (DAI vs BAI) which immediately caused a squawk. Had to tell him I
was just kidding. Think he gave me a 337 report after that.

Nice working all you guys.

73
Ed