[SECC] NAQP Question for Part Time ops

Gary Breed gary@noblepub.com
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 09:39:07 -0500

------=_NextPart_000_00B1_01C068D6.5DBC85A0

Good question, Greg!

I suspect that late evening (8-11 pm local times) provides the largest =
group of=20
part-timers on the low bands. In the 160 meter contests that I've =
concentrated=20
on the past few years, that is clearly the case.  The high bands might =
not be
as definite.

My own habits are not predictable -- I often take a break while working =
on
some project or another, which can be at any time.  My low band casual =
activity
is often much later than "prime time." In last years' ARRL DX contest, I =
operated=20
from about midnight Friday to 4 a.m. Saturday, through European sunrise, =
catching
the top condx on 40, 80 then 20.

73, Gary
K9AY

  In the SECC, we have a fairly large membership. Its also hard to put =
in a competetive effort in each contest. Most of us have to pick our 5 =
or 8 favorites during the year and do a part time effort in the others. =
We have alot of guys who can only get on for an hour or two during the =
NAQP.  The NAQP is a 12 hour contest and single ops must take 2 hours =
time off during the contest.  this is usually done in 4 different 30 =
minute increments.

  Since the Jan contest favors the low bands, I have usually tried to =
take all my off time during the first 5 or so hours of the contest and =
hit the low bands 40/80/160 hard.

  In the last Jan NAQP according to the contest writeup in the NCJ, =
there were over 1,200 different callsigns on during the contest but only =
one of the top 10 guys had over 250 q's on a single band.

  My question is "As a part time operator, when is the time that you are =
most likely to get on the radio  for your 1 to 2 hours?  Is in all in =
one block (until the wife finds you??) or is it between projects.  Is it =
completely random?  What band would you most likely get on?

  I am trying to find out how I can improve my score by working more =
part timers.

  Thanks

  Greg K4NO

------=_NextPart_000_00B1_01C068D6.5DBC85A0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Good question, Greg!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I suspect that late evening (8-11 pm local times) provides the =
largest=20
group of </DIV>
<DIV>part-timers on the low bands. In the 160 meter contests that I've=20
concentrated </DIV>
<DIV>on the past few years, that is clearly the case.&nbsp; The high =
bands might=20
not be</DIV>
<DIV>as definite.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>My own habits are not predictable -- I often take a break while =
working=20
on</DIV>
<DIV>some project or another, which can be at any time.&nbsp; My low =
band casual=20
activity</DIV>
<DIV>is often much later than "prime time." In last years' ARRL DX =
contest, I=20
operated </DIV>
<DIV>from about midnight Friday to 4 a.m. Saturday, through European =
sunrise,=20
catching</DIV>
<DIV>the top condx on 40, 80 then 20.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>73, Gary</DIV>
<DIV>K9AY</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<BLOCKQUOTE=20
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>In the SECC, we have a fairly large membership.&nbsp;Its also =
hard to put=20
  in a competetive effort in each contest.&nbsp;Most of us have to pick =
our 5 or=20
  8 favorites during the year and do a part&nbsp;time effort in the =
others. We=20
  have alot of guys who can only get on for an hour or two during the=20
  NAQP.&nbsp; The NAQP is a 12 hour contest and single ops must take 2 =
hours=20
  time off during the contest.&nbsp; this is usually done in =
4&nbsp;different 30=20
  minute increments.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>Since the Jan contest favors the low bands, I have usually tried =
to take=20
  all my off time during the first 5 or so hours of the contest and hit =
the low=20
  bands 40/80/160 hard.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>In the last Jan NAQP according to the contest writeup in the NCJ, =
there=20
  were over 1,200 different callsigns on during the contest but only one =
of the=20
  top 10 guys had over 250 q's on a single band.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>My question is "As a part time operator, when is the time that =
you are=20
  most likely to get on the radio&nbsp; for your 1 to 2 hours?&nbsp; Is =
in all=20
  in one block (until the wife finds you??) or is it between =
projects.&nbsp; Is=20
  it completely random?&nbsp; What band would you most likely get =
on?</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>I am trying to find out how I can improve my score by working =
more part=20
  timers.</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>Thanks</DIV>
  <DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
  <DIV>Greg K4NO</DIV></BLOCKQUOTE></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_00B1_01C068D6.5DBC85A0--