[SECC] Comments requested.

Bill Coleman AA4LR aa4lr@radio.org
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 12:26:04 -0400

On 6/10/00 12:06 AM, Ed Sleight at k4sb@mindspring.com wrote:

>Bill Coleman AA4LR wrote:
>> In my opinion, there is NO percentage of uniques that should force a DQ.
>> Any disqualification has to be a carefully executed decision by a human
>> making the judgement. You can't just say "gosh, he had a bunch of
>> uniques" and DQ him automatically -- there has to be further evidence
>> that something is afoot.
>
>Have to disagree with Bill here. The log checking process has absolutely
>nothing to do with uniques. If a guy makes a few contacts, but doesn't
>send in a log, there's not much you can do. If the call appears in more
>than 1 log, it isn't "unique". What's to prevent someone from inserting
>a call every 3 or 4 contacts? Software to do it, child's play.

It is certainly possible for someone to convince non-contesters to give
them a contact. In fact, my Sweepstakes SSB log from 1999, with just 249
contacts had two uniques because I did just that.

I think it is wrong to penalise someone just because they have a knack
for getting the exchange out of a non-contester. So, they end up with a
bunch of uniques -- there's absolutely ZERO proof that the uniques are
not ligitimate contacts.

Of course, it is certainly possible for someone to read the callbook and
insert bogus contacts. It's also possible for people to run an amplifier
and claim QRP, run excessive power, watch the packetcluster and claim
single op, rubberize their clock, listen during off-time, etc.

Logs with lots of uniques should be more closely scrutinized. Maybe a few
well-placed e-mails to some of the unique callsign owners would help to
determine the truthfulness in the reporting. But DQing someone just
because they have a lot of uniques isn't right. Further verification is
needed.

>> They don't always know what their grid square is.
>
>It is a simple matter of either looking up your own call at probably 20
>different WEB sites, or if you have a Radio CDROM, from there.

Agreed. But, you have to know your lat/long to get your grid. How many
people know that?

Sure, if they have a bit of determination, they can figure it out. But
it's hard to have someone call in and try to figure it out on the fly.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr@radio.org
Quote: "Boot, you transistorized tormentor! Boot!"
            -- Archibald Asparagus, VeggieTales

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/seccfaq.html
Search:                   http://www.contesting.com