[SECC] SSCW comments

Gary Breed gary@noblepub.com
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 17:55:36 -0500

I'm leaving tomorrow for the rest of the week (after voting),
and didn't want to wait to throw in my two pence about SSCW.
Don't have my log, so I'll rely on my rapidly fading memory...

1. Conditions were really good, and a few guys remarked that my
QRP signal was really strong -- but I had lousy results from
CQing.  My theory is that everything is relative. Casual ops can't
hear weak signals (a fact proven annually at Field Day), and S9+10
must be "weak" compared to a pinned S-meter.

2. One and only one good run: Sunday evening on 14003. Wierd to
have your best hour late in the 'test.

3. Activity was good! I worked at least two of EVERY multiplier
except NL and YT. Yes, Jay, I worked both a VE1 and a VE9 in MAR.

4. 40 was a pain! Even the big guns were way up in the band --
all the way to 7090! Kept getting shoved out after only a few CQs.

5. I used a delta loop on 80 versus verticals in the past. I did
"feel" louder on this band, especially into the Northeast, but the
band was quiet and it might have been conditions. Also had a low
40-20-15 dipole at 35 ft., broadside NW/SE. On 40, it was rarely
better than the rotatable dipole at 75 ft., but good on 15 & 20.

6. Two radios is nice to have, but will take practice. I have been
woefully short of contest practice lately.

7. Good News/Bad News -- I think I got about all I could from a
tribander/single element station.

73, Gary
K9AY