[SECC] SSCW comments K4NO Score

greg richard k4no@ispchannel.com
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 22:56:25 -0600

80      30
40    338
20   469
15    75
10    73

 985 x 80 for 157,600  or put another way  (not enough x all you can work)
Low power effort.  21 hours of operation.  one radio.

  The old Alabama LP state record was 129K and the goal was to break the
record.  I was able to do that.  The second goal was 1000 Q's and I did not
make that.

Conditions were great.  The QRP guys were LOUD.  Best hour was 75 in the
first hour while watching the Alabama vs LSU ball game (should have been
watching the rate meter more...If I am named the next football coach at
Alabama, my station will be available for guest ops during all fall
contests)

80 was noisy from here Sat night.  Seemed like atmospheric noise not power
line noise but will put that on the list of things to check.  Other have
commented that 80 was quiet.

80 is usually the big money band but things were going so good on 20 and 40,
I never really made it there for any lenght of time. When I was there, I had
worked most of the guys CQ'ing and I couldn't get anything going when I
CQ'ed.

40 was a blast.  I had a good run (60 hours) while I was at 7055 Sat night.
At one point, I was within 12 Q's of N4ZZ 6 hours into the contest and was
beating NP2B by 20 Q's

20..what others were able to do on 40, I was able to do on 20. ( I saw
several LP stations in the south with 600+ Q's on 40)  469 Q's is a big
number for me.  Started the contest on 20 and stayed there for a while.

15/10  mainly worked guys out west S and P.  15 was open to the NE but no
real rate available. I was able to CQ and work some guys out west on 10/15
that I would not have worked on other bands but  the words of K4AB were in
the back of my mind everytime I didn't get an answer to a CQ  ..if I'm on 15
meters,  I'm loosing.

Worked N0AH in WY with about 20 minutes to go for the sweep.  I was S and
P'ing on 20 and found him.   Last two mults were VO1 and WY.  Broke a huge
pile up to VO1MP
on 15 meters for the mult.  Saw where Gus only had 35q's on 15 so I feel
lucky.  Never heard him on 10.

Rates were S  L  O  W  sunday afternoon. I think I had several hours of 20
to 25 Q's.
Conditions were so good that folks were spread out over 3/4 bands.  Too many
guys just started CQ'ing on top of me without a QRL or ?

The guys who really make this contest are the guys with less than 200 Q's.
I can't tell you how cool it is to be pushing hard (as hard as one can with
one radio) in the last hours trying to break a goal and get called by a guy
who gives you QSO number 22  and he has a check of 39.

Hope all had fun.
CU SSB??

Greg  K4NO