[SECC] KS4Q Cluster Outage

Ernie Ernie" <erniez@hatcreekcopy.com
Fri, 10 Aug 2001 22:01:55 -0400

For those that tried this evening to access the KS4Q cluster through Sawnee
Mtn. but could not connect, it has been fixed.

Another one of Icom's poorly heat sinked IC-229H PA modules has bitten the
dust. Fortunatley I was able to take my local digipeater, CDX,. off the air
and was able to use that Icom 229H radio as a replacement for the 145.01
radio.  I've already replaced the module in that unit when it failed in
voice service four or so years ago.

Evidently there was just too much dx on the cluster this afternoon and the
Icom couldn't take it.  I suspect that I will open the transmit power
challenged radio and find little or no contact between the PA module and
aluminum casting.

Anyhow, the cluster is back up and I am evaluating a copy of AR Cluster
which allow for spot filtering down to even the level of a state.  (These
are settings that you as a user can access and setup from the comfort of
your own shack)

This is the software that has for the most part replaced the AK1A dos based
packet cluster software.  These are settings that you as a user can access
and setup from the comfort of your own shack.  There are 67 nodes and 154
uers on as I type this.  I've got the spots limited to just the US and
Canada.

Regards, Ernie KS4Q