[SECC] 160m Contest

Allan & Bridget dxcc@dbtech.net
Sun, 9 Dec 2001 09:50:37 -0600

As I said earlier, I was unable to put a full time effort into the contest,
and ended up not even calling CQ.  Because of this, I missed several
multipliers who were also doing only search and pounce.  I only made 156
QSOs and 60 multipliers.  "DX" included ZF2, VP5, KH6, and VK6.  I heard the
massive pile-up on 1.833 around 2:00 UTC but unfortunately also heard the
"buzz saw" that shared the same frequency on my end.  =)  Missed most of the
W1 sections because I was away from the radio during the early evening hours
of both nights.  Was surprised by the low number of VE provinces represented
in those calling CQ (or perhaps I just wasn't hearing them?).   I was
thankful for the low noise floor...this is the first time I've had to
operate 160m without a rx antenna.  I was also operating without our usual
HF receiver.  The FT 847 isn't the best rig to use in crowded
conditions...even with a 500 Hz filter in line.

For those of you who are still pumped with radioing adrenaline, Allan is now
listening on 15m and 10m for U.S. stations.  He has a receiver and a long
wire he's using on the 15th floor of his hotel in Hong Kong.  Anyone he
hears will probably receive an SWL postcard.   =)
73,
Bridget, KS4YT
"Vocatvs atque non vocatvs Deus aderit."
--"Invited or not invited, God is always present."