[SECC] 160

K4SB k4sb@mindspring.com
Sun, 09 Dec 2001 17:35:22 +0000

Have a few minor typing errors to fix, which thankfully I made note
of, but as of now, score is around the 59,000 mark with over 400 Qs.
Spent all week from Mon-Thurs putting out radials...Finally wound up
with over 2500' in 130' lengths. Used 5 spools of 1/4" x 1/16"
aluminum strap I bought years ago. Even ran one radial through the
swimming pool. Antenna was a "T", 83' up with a 54' top.

I am astonished at reports that noise was low. Friday night, I had S9
at the beginning dropping to about S5 by midnight or so. Also, the QSB
on signals was unbelievable. Station would call with good signal, and
after sending report, had to dig his report out of the mud. Used 80
meter dipole at 100' for aux receive and it was no better. Finally
hooked up 40 meter rotatable dipole, and it helped some.

2 ZFs, and the VP5 were all the DX. Let's see, got all the 1s,2s (
with NLI being above the 400 Q mark, and NNY around 380 ),3s, 4s,5s,
but missed about 5 of the 6s, 2 or 3 of the 7s, all 8s, 9,s and 0s.
VEs were almost non existent. Got the VY2, VE3, VE7, but didn't even
hear any other. Missed PAC,VI,KP2 and 4. Cannot believe there wasn't a
KP4 somewhere.

Was going to run Packet, but found the thing wouldn't connect. Quick
SWR check and I now know where the junk came from which zapped the
computer in the CQWW. Looked at it this morning and top 12" or so of
the antenna are hanging by a thread. Had 2 computers capable of an
instant switch, both with own keying circuits, but CT ran like a
charm. Also had a 3rd computer (old P-166 ) running as backup. All it
needed to be put in service was to connect the video, keyboard, and
keyer, load the log from the floppy and it was ready to go.

Think I worked all the SECC guys on. Amazing how weak the close in
signals were, and how much better the 200 mile+ range was.

Highlight of the whole thing was beating NQ4I on a rare state..Thanks
Rick, I needed that.

Final Club score later.

73
Ed