[SECC] 10 mtr test

Courtney Judd Courtney Judd" <k4wi@earthlink.net
Mon, 17 Dec 2001 19:19:01 -0600

Wow, what a weekend! Herb.. KD4Y from Tuscaloosa.. came down and we did a
multi effort. Average rate for the contest was 85/hour and at one point on a
fantastic Euro run the rate meter hit 270/hour. I introduced Herb to
Writelog and he went home and ordered his program. He has gotten the contest
bug and will be another reason to extend the circle.. Whats wrong with a 250
mile radius versus 175? We ended up with 2388 -57 dupes= 2331 qso's for a
score of 1,521,366 est. the best yet..not bad considering the "D" is still
in CA.. The 920 held its own and with some Inrads will be an excellent low
budget contesting rig. Below are the particulars:
            qso        points        SEC        DX
CW        516        2868        58            61
SSB      1815       3630         60            88
Total     2331      5698         118          149

Been thinking about the dupe situation again and if any of you has seen the
back and forth on several of the reflectors about K4OJ, this will add food
for thought. We had a dupe rate of 2.4% (57/2388) in 28 hours of operation
which comes out to .7 min/qso. Thats 40 minutes of time that was spent
reworking someone who might have busted your call or other problems. My gut
feeling is that the majority of these callers are not logging at all and
simply enjoy an easy contact. A nameless W*6*** called me 5 times in one
afternoon in Nov CQWW. Alot will call 3 times or more.. you get to know
their call. Where is the cutoff point? Food for thought.
    On another note, Herb and I have access to a 600 ft FM tower that is not
in operation at the present moment complete with usable building on site. CQ
160 is next month and Our score counts in this contest I believe. We would
appreciate any ideas on using this site for this contest. Well, thanks
everyone for the contacts. We worked many SECCers. I think the turnout world
wide was impressive! cul 73's Cort

Courtney Judd K4WI
ex-K4JYO
check out: www.k4wi.net