[SECC] NAQP update #2

Gary Breed gary@noblepub.com
Wed, 3 Jan 2001 12:07:38 -0500

> >A bigger problem is where to put the monitor! For now, I have Radio 1 in
> >the center, Radio 2 to the left and the monitor to the right -- I prefer
> >to look side-to-side with everything at the same level rather than
> >up-and-down, but it's not a perfect arrangement.
>
> Gary,
>
> I recently saw a layout that I liked and may copy.  The monitor is in the
> center with radios on each side.  I now have the monitor on the right and
> my two radios stacked on the left, with radio 1 on the lower level and
> radio 2 above.  This works OK but as I hope to get into two radio
> contesting more, I want the radio 2 tuning knob more easily
> accessible.  This will likely be a project for next summer.
>
> 73,
>
> - Jay/K4OGG

-------
My setup was chosen after analyzing how I operate -- I decided on a
"radio-centric" layout with the main rig front and center.

I tried the monitor over the radio, but it's too high.  Then I tried
stacking the radios, but 765's are too big and I didn't like reaching
over one to get to the other. When I finally committed to the present
layout last summer, I built the operating banch to fit -- it's a little
like an organ keyboard, with a front section at lower than standard desk
height for keyboard, paddle and mouse. The back part is 4" higher with
the radios and accessories. This puts the keyboard right under the front
panel of the radio and tucks the paddles and mouse partway underneath.

The ideal setup may be one of the flat LCD monitors on a boom that can
be placed almost anywhere. They are down to $659 in price, but that's
not cheap enough yet!

73, Gary
K9AY