[SECC] ADSL service

Bill Coleman aa4lr@arrl.net
Wed, 27 Jun 2001 12:14:31 -0400

On 6/27/01 11:15 AM, Ed at k4sb@mindspring.com wrote:

>Think I'm about ready to upgrade.
>
>Would appreciate remarks from those of you who have the service,
>especially on providers.

Ed,

I have my service with BellSouth. Mine isn't technically DSL. It is IFITL
(Integrated Fiber in the Loop). What this means is that I don't have a
DSL modem. Instead, BellSouth has fiber optic cable on the street, and
they run 4 wires of copper into my house. Those 4 wires are a 10BaseT
ethernet connection. IFITL availablility varies with your location. IFITL
is the only DSL service BellSouth provides at my house.

I've had it installed since January. Getting it installed was a trip. If
you are told that someone will call you, write yourself a reminder to
call back in a week. BellSouth told me 4 different times that someone
would call me for the next step. In all but one case, I had to call them
back. I think their problem is they have to coordinate between
departments and often drop the ball. There was also some confusion over
what had to / had not been done. Ooops.

I had been using a Macintosh to act as a IP Masquerading gateway, but
after some trouble with my gateway software over several months (it
worked just fine masquerading a dial-up link), I opted to buy a NetGear
RT314 Router / Switch. It's been very reliable since. I have 5 different
computers in my house which share the internet connection.

Not bad for $40 / month.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901