[SECC] Contesting - Of Course !

Lee Hiers, AA4GA aa4ga@contesting.com
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 17:11:26 -0500

On 22 Mar 2001,, Jay Pryor wrote:

> I can only tell you what I'm using, which may or may not be for you.  I'm
> using a Heil headset with the HC5 element and have no reason to
> complain.  It hurts my ears a bit after a 48-hour contest, but I think it's
> likely that most do.  I use a foot switch for phone contesting.

There are two versions of the Heil out now (I think).  One has the
big over-the-ear cups...it's pretty good...especially at keeping out
extraneous noise.

The second one I think they call their Micro headset.  It has similar
cups, but smaller - they fit *on* the ear, not over it.  I hate it.  I've
got one and can't wear it but about 2 hours.

They formerly made an on-the-ear headset with foam rubber
earpieces...it was the original Heil headset.  A lot of folks don't like
those, but I think they're great...if you don't have much ambient
noise to contend with.  If you can find one used, Heil sells
replacement foam and mic clips (weak link) still as far as I know.

It's not a bad idea to have several sets of 'phones you can switch to
over the course of a contest....all loaded with the Heil mic element.

> I own a Logikey keyer but don't use it.  My logging program (TRLog) keys my
> radio, and I have paddle input so I can key the radio either from the
> computer or from the paddle.  I think that most contesters today use their
> computer for keying.

If you're using the computer for logging with one of the more
popular logging programs, you should use the computer to send
CW with as well.  Like Jay, I use TR with the paddle input, so it's
an easy matter to send manually if needed.

If you just want a keyer for between contests or messing around
without booting up a computer, I use a CMOS Super II keyer I
built...which I think is the same or a predecessor to the Logikey
keyer, which is available commercially.

HTH...

73 de Lee

--