[SECC] WPX results

Courtney Judd - K4WI k4jyo@frontiernet.net
Mon, 26 Mar 2001 06:35:38 -0600

Mother nature sure has a way of messing with contest plans.. I decided to go
low power single band 10 meters thinking that I would be able to run Euro's
and Ja's with no problems. The A-index took care of that with the absorption
so bad Friday evening the only Ja's coming thru were on the crooked path due
west and with out the Alpha they couldn't hear me. Saturday morning was not
much better with nothing coming thru from Northern Europe. No DL, G,F or
Scandinavia at all. In fact. only worked one OZ5 Sunday late for the entire
contest... no SM or OH etc. Plenty of EA, I, S5 etc but all were weak and I
had to S+P.. no runs. Sunday morning got somewhat better with a few G's and
DL's but all were weak. I could here the east coast boys working them but
they evidently were skirting the polar path. Sunday afternoon improved and
had a nice opening to the far east. Actually made a small run with the few
that didn't have to go to work with VR2, YB, BA, BN, BV,DU, HL calling in.
The best two call signs that called were NO7UP and BA4RF. Also was called by
KC4AAC and VP8CML so it pays to  leave one yagi pointed South! Ended up with
988 qso's, 547 Mult's in 29 hours for 1,269,587 points. Not too bad.. would
have got me 2nd place last year low power 10 meters so we will have to see
how it sorts out this year. It was a most frustrating contest to say the
least but at least I didn't have to worry about severe weather this past
weekend! Didn't hear much out of the Southeast guys at all. Thanks to
everyone who I did get to work! 73's Cort
Courtney Judd K4WI
       ex-K4JYO
check out www.k4wi.net