[SECC] SS Tips

n4uk@mindspring.com n4uk@mindspring.com
Thu, 01 Nov 2001 11:53:15 -0500

   Hi all,
      I tried my first phone SS a few years ago and enjoyed it so much that I came back the next year with the goal of making into the top 10. My plan was to run, run, run. I never searched for mults in either of the two years I participated. I put up special turnstile antennas that would increase my ability to make it into the major population areas of the NE and Midwest throughout the daytime on 40 meters. I took half hour breaks when runs died down (never based upon pre-arranged times)and took a 3 hour sleep break from 3-6 A.M. My Bread and butter band both years was 40 meters with over 1,000 Qs on that band. The runs rarely ever died down and I felt as though I was on a DXpedition based upon the endless number of people that kept calling me. The biggest trick was realizing that a majority of the hams calling aren't seriously in the contest. This allows you to give the report in machine gun rapid style without worrying that you will have to repeat info since most of them ar!
!
en't worried or don't care to write it down anyway. They are mostly interested in working the state or just logging a contact. They could care less about the year you were first licensed. I rarely ever had to repeat my info and I knew when to slow it down based upon who was calling me.( slow it down for a known contest call). Don't waste time on 20,15, and 10 meters if you feel that you're being overpowered by the TX and West coasters. Feeling Macho and trying to hang with the big boys on the West coast on 10,15, and 20m from the East coast has no place in the Sweepstakes. Take advantage of our proximity to the high population centers in OHIO and Michigan and the stuff in the Northeast on 40 and 75 meters. There are no bonus points given for working an even amount of QSOs on all bands. Use 10,15 and 20 m when your runs go dry on 40 and 75. Put up antennas that make you loud as hell on the low bands into the megacities. These strategies all worked well for me as I not only was !
!
able to make it into the top 10 for the 1998 SSB SS but also broke the all time Roanoke division record. BTW, all sections were worked too. K6LA, who was at VY1JA , called me on 40 meters for the sweep! Wish I had time to do it again! 73, Ken N4uk

Bill Fisher W4AN <w4an@contesting.com> wrote:

I would be interested in seeing SS tips from you all.  Might help some of
our membership this weekend.

I'll be high power, so some of my advice may not apply to someone going LP
or QRP.  I actually think AA4GA, W4OC, K9AY, K4OGG, etc might have more
useful tips for the club at large.

I hope you will all consider getting on the air this weekend and
handing out some QSOs.  Concentrate on 40M and 80M where you will be
most likely to find other members.

73

Bill, W4AN