[SECC] SS results

John Laney k4bai@worldnet.att.net
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 14:42:38 -0500

I didn't know when anyone spotted me except for one "U" station who told
me he had done it on 15 up around 21420 on Sunday afternoon.  But, I did
notice that after that spot and at other times in the contest I did have
a few mini plieups all of a sudden as if there had been spotting and
only a few of those stations were "U" or "M" stations.  I assume multi
op stations may also use packet in SS.  I hope there is not really a lot
of cheating going on among people who are going to submit their scores.
And, if you are not going to submit your score, what reason is there to
hide your packet connection by saying A or B (or Q)?

Compare Cort's ten meter contacts with mine and you will find that he
has a really killer antenna set up on 10.  I have always thought he did
on 15 M also.  The low QSO total on 20 probably doesn't indicate any
antenna fault there, but he was able to run on 10 M when I couldn't with
my KW and TH6.

Wouldn't it be nice to be able to run with good rates on 10 meters where
there is more room to spread out than to have to find a few khz on 20
meters (out of only 125 khz for General class ops)?  I had only one
instance of deliberate QRM that I could identify and that was some guy
who wouldn't give his call on 20 M, but who QRMmed me until I finally
moved so the Collins net (which has been established for years, he said)
could have about 5 khz of QRM-free spectrum.  It didn't matter that I
was 2.5 khz below the net frequency and had been there for 90 minutes or
so.  I tried CQing over his monolog, but got no answers, so I moved to
about 14305 where my blood pressure was safer.

See you all from Barbados in about 36 hours, I hope.

73,

John, K4BAI/8P9HT/8P9Z.