[SECC] PC rig control and logging

David L. Thompson thompson@mindspring.com
Tue, 13 Aug 2002 13:15:52 -0400

I see comments almost every day about logging and use of the PC.  K4VUD made
a statement that he loved running stations on his radio but hated the PC
logging.   PC Logging has made
keeping track of the score and especially controlling dupes so much easier.
I remember using the old ARRL two sided dupe sheet and I used two with 1 to
5 on one side and 6 to 0 (with VE) on the other in the ARRL SS.  I used my
knee to flip the board holding the dupe sheet to the correct side.  A W6
told me he had dual dupe sheets on each side of him.  We both could only
keep them up to date at breaks.

I feel the real problem with logging programs is they are too feature rich
(I have used CT and Writelog).  I get weary reading the Writelog reflector
and keeping up with bug fixes and updates.  Gosh I thought old MSA financial
software or IBM Mainframe operating systems were kings of change but CT and
Writelog run out bug fixes and updates faster than the old creakers.

The cabrillo format really only makes it easier on log checkers but maybe
one day it will be a standard (now what do we do with ARRL section in the CQ
WW??).   This is why I support
paper logs as an alternative....we don't want to leave hams such as K4VUD
and say UN6T behind.  We need all the contesters not just those of us with
modern PC's!

I advocate breaking out the logging function from the rig control so those
of us who don't use rig control to not stumble over those features.  Dennis
WN4AZY at PDA (LOGIc) agrees...and he even has a cabrillo converter as his
regular log format gives checkers fits as Logic breaks a line for each new
mult.

For now I agree with K4VUD (to some extent)...I like to chase DX band
countries and work contests not figure out how to make my PC, logging
program and rig control all talk on the same page!

73 Dave K4JRB