[SECC] 160 plan

John Vickers wa4tt@nlamerica.com
Mon, 4 Feb 2002 15:58:49 -0500

Hi all,
Since the comment period on RM-10352 started I've kept up with them on a
fairly close basis. The conclusions I've made, as to why the people that
have responded negatively to this matter, are not scientific but based on
information gained thru personal knowledge of them or info gained from their
web pages or Bio's.

As of 2 pm today, there have been 354 comments and I find 42 against. This
represents approx 8.4 to 1 in favor of mode segmentation. Please note I may
be off 1 or 2 comments for or against as I only went over them 1 time. What
really stands out to me is who has actually voiced an opinion and what seems
to be the motive for that opinion. I am aware of Dave, K4JRB's, thoughts and
highly respect his concern and also those of a few more respondents against
the RM. But to the casual observer some of the others responding may not
send up the same red flags that I have noticed.

Here are some of the things I've noticed:::::: of the 42 comments against

3    by No Code International supporters
4    by Contesters
4    By names not located in any ham or FCC database (if names are real,
they
      certainly have the right to comment without being hams)
6    I find no agenda, except that they are against the petition
10   by AMers, cutting off their nose... the Bubba boys are surely after
their 5 or 10 kc
        windows on the bands. 3 of Fla ssb group also frequent the160 am
group.
15   by members of the Fla ssb group that now are operating just inside the
bandplan.
        Of these 15 commenting so far,  12 of them are located in the Miami
area and
        some of these have regular ssb skeds in the  low part of the band
with spanish
        speaking stns and none use callsigns at all for these QSO's back
home.

Not scientific, but just plain old - dirt road - country boy logic can show
where the opposition with the most to lose is shooting from. The stations
communicating with the obviously unlicensed stations in the Carribean and S.
America, are just as bad as the pirates on the bottom of 80, 40, and 10m.
Its just that fewer people can hear them, so up til now they've operated
with little opposition.

There is comment after comment from contesters supporting this RM. No matter
what your feelings on the matter, I respect them and defend your right to
voice them. I just felt it odd that most of the opposition has ties to one
group in particular.

My personal feelings are that this will be denied by the FCC, no matter how
strong the support.  If we are to enjoy our hobby as individuals, we need to
work toward a goal that everyone will be afforded his place on the bands to
use the mode of his choice. As the recent FCC action on 40m and a contester
shows, it may be contesting facing the battle in the future.   73-- John
WA4TT