[SECC] CQ160M SSB Contest

Jeffrey Clarke ku8e1@yahoo.com
Fri, 15 Feb 2002 12:04:13 -0800 (PST)

--- Dan/W4NTI <w4nti@mindspring.com> wrote:
> I hope if anyone operates SSB below 1843 they copy CW well.  I intend
> contest, but WILL NOT USE PHONE below 43.  If anyone else does they
> are
> lids.
>
> Dan/W4NTI

 I think that too many people have misinterpreted the comments that
Riley Hollingsworth has made about 160 meters. I have never heard him
come out and say that "you can't operate SSB below 1843".  He works for
the FCC Enforcement Bureau so he doesn't make the rules he enforces
them.

  The FCC frequency allocations state you can operate both CW and SSB
on the whole 160 meter band. (1800-2000Khz) As long as you don't
"intentionally" cause interference to another station there is nothing
that the FCC can do to you. You are within the scope of the rules.

 The ARRL bandplan is a "gentleman's agreement". (i.e.not the rules.) I
don't know who made up the suggested bandplan but on a normal day you
don't need 40 khz of the band allocated to CW only. The activity
doesn't warrant it.

  When there is a contest going on there is going to be some adjustment
to this "gentleman's agreement" because of the limited space that is
available to make worldwide contacts. If W4NTI refuses to work stations
below 1843Khz the only thing he will be hurting is his score.

 I blame this whole "controversy" on a few East Coast 160 DXers who are
only looking out for their own interests and not everyone elses....

                      73's  Jeff  KU8E/LID

ps: If you want to keep 1800-1843 clear for me during the 160 contest
    that's great !!!  With that much space I ought to work lots of DX.