[SECC] CQ160M SSB Contest

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Sun, 17 Feb 2002 19:27:35 -0500

>      Like I said. If everyone is contesting with SSB throughout the
>      entire band during the CQWW160 SSB contest then I will join them.
>      If it's legal and will only impact the band for a single contest
>      weekend and CQ magazine doesn't care then I will not alter my
>      operating tactics. I am in the contest to rack up the points not
>      to make one.

Actually it is unfortunate CQ Magazine and other contest
promoters don't suggest people follow bandplans, and behave
properly.

People would certainly work a lot more DX if they operated split,
but that will likely never happen unless the FCC forces it. I can
hear dozens of Europeans under stateside stations during DX
oriented contests that are not working USA because they have
QRM from Europe and they are being QRM'ed in the USA.

There are a few long term negative effects from contests on 160.
They "train" people to ignore bandplans. Even with very low activity,
like in state QSO parties, I hear SSB below 1825. When contests
aren't on, occasionally contestors test, tune, or chat on SSB below
1840. Most likely this is because they are unaware of bandplans,
since their primary focus is contesting.

They also give all contestors and DX'ers a sour reputation with
regular users of the bands. As a matter of fact it is pretty funny to
see KU8E pick at DX'ers, while most ragchew-type operators I
know lump both DX'ers and contestors into the same group and
consider both a bunch of narcissistic lids.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com