[SECC] Stop policemen on 160 SSB

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Sat, 23 Feb 2002 22:58:52 -0500

> And I thought all the jerks were xmitting on TI9M &
> PW0T calling freq.  How many 'CBers' are there on the
> ham bands???

I'm sure most QRM is innocent, because people just don't know
any better or get careless. Virtually all Hams traditionally have
been really good natured and don't want to cause problems for
others.

No matter how much we might disagree and argue about some
things, in the end we really are a close knit group. There are very
very few meanspirited people in our hobby. I can count the number
of intentional jammers I have met over the years on two hands,
which says a lot since I probably have met ten's of thousands of
Hams.

Contesting is actually a lot like street racers, who take over roads
at night to race. Most of them are really nice people, who just want
to compete with each other. They hate it when their favorite
hangouts are changed, even if they other places to go. The best
thing to do is try to stay off the road they are using!

As for real policemen, not to be confused with jammers, we really
could use more of that. One thing that always impressed the FCC
and people in general about our hobby was that we were self-
policing. I hope we don't fall into the same trap our schools and
everything else fell into, where we can't police ourselves.
73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com