[SECC] US/VE Hams: QST - Do we have a say in it?

NF4A nf4a@knology.net
Tue, 8 Jan 2002 22:24:00 -0600

Frank and Sandy:   First, Frank it was nice to see you at the NWFDX club
meeting tonight. Second, I would like to retract my email supporting the
elimination of Section News from QST...if was JUST "Section News" that was
on the cutting block, I wouldn't be writing this email.

Tonight, I found out that there is a proposal to also cut detailed contest
news and listings from QST as well. Frank you know my feelings on this as we
discussed them face to face at the meeting.

Immediately after leaving the meeting, I made a cell call to Jim White, K4OJ
to let him know what I have heard. His reaction to this can be seen below in
an email that went out to all contesters on the major contest reflectors on
the internet. Just wanted to let you know so you would have a "heads up" so
you could be ready for the emails that you will probably be getting from
contesters in the Southeastern Division.

I certainly hope that some solution to the dilemma of cutting "16 pages" (or
cutting costs) in QST can be reached without cutting contest coverage in
QST. Contest coverage, is one of the primary reasons I find QST an important
publication for the amateur radio community. Just for the record, I also
subscribe to NCJ because it provides even more detailed reading for the
contester. Personally, as far as section news is concerned, I haven't read
it in years, but I realize that perhaps the SMs and traffic handlers find it
to be important.

73 Charlie NF4A (see K4OJ's email below)

-
Subject: [FCG] US/VE Hams: QST - Do we have a say in it?

CONTESTERS PLEASE FORWARD TO YOUR CLUB REFLECTORS

There is a rumor afoot regarding some possible changes to be made in the
ARRL official journal QST.

I am hoping someone in authority with my membership organization who is
either addressed above or is on one of these reflectors will step forward
and tell me a rumor I have heard is wrong.

As I understand it, the rumor is that the SECTION NEWS  AND detailed
reporting of CONTESTS are on the table to be cut from QST...perhaps a
summary of the high scorers will be still printed but Joe Ham will not see
his call in QST.

AGAIN this is NOT confirmed but I am very concerned.

The measure of operator, not communicator, ability has always been the
contest.  During contests, amateurs can focus on developing their skills and
even if they are just starting out they still can see where they rank in the
big picture thanks to QST write-ups.

Many MANY contesters have enjoyed watching their scores move higher and
higher in their section listings as their operating ability improved, I know
I have over the past 30 years.

As I understand it, all the listings may still be available, in obscurity,
on the WWW, but not in front of the faces of your average ham...including
the newcomer!

Is this the beginning of the end of contesting?  Once it is no longer in
front of the faces of hams looking for new things to try and only the
highest scores are published the guy who gets on to find his 100 QSOs is
over a thousand shy of making it into print will undoubtedly say the heck
with it.

TO QUOTE A LETTER FROM W6OAT IN AN EARLY ISSUE OF NCJ:

SOMETHING IS WRONG HERE

This time it is my opinion that a very serious signal is about to be sent
out by the ARRL as far as its views on the importance of contesting as a
means to ensure a community of hams proficient in radio communications.

AGAIN this is a rumor I have heard, I encourage clubs that support
contesting to contact their members regarding this SHOULD THIS BE AN
ACCURATE REPORT.

I have gained many many friends in the contesting community over the past 30
plus years and value all of my friendships with these hams from all over the
world...if we are about to see contesting get lip service by the ARRL - the
largest National membership organization of amateur radio operators - well,
I pray I am having a nightmare and someone will wake me up.

HAS ANYONE HEARD ANYTHING ON THIS - I KNOW THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS IS SLATED
TO MEET SHORTLY AND SUSPECT THIS IS ON THE AGENDA - WERE YOU ASKED FOR
INPUT?

I do not want ham radio to be clear channels only allowed communication - I
have a cell phone and a computer on the web for that...lets keep radio
OPERATING a part of ham radio.

INFO NEEDED NOW - SOMEONE ENLIGHTEN THE MASSES BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE!

73,

Jim White, K4OJ
founder: Florida Contest Group - where operating ability is something we
take pride in.