[SECC] US/VE Hams: QST - Do we have a say in it?

David L. Thompson thompson@mindspring.com
Wed, 9 Jan 2002 10:36:28 -0500

The League brings this prioposal along each time there is an economic
crunch.   Especially the section news which is really a pain for the SM
(right Sandy?).   They will only do this if advertising increases to fill
the space.  Hopefully with a Development Director on board the message about
putting in news/reports that bring in active hams (as new or re-tread
members) will put a stop to this type of thinking.

Some of the OT's will remember when QST even ran a box of equipment used by
SS winners and listed the sections and countries with real headings.  The
Contesting community brings in advertising $$ (Dick Ross at CQ believes this
as the last time he tried to cut contest space even his ad guy told him he
was wrong....)   And the active ARRL appointees/ARES hams want the section
news NO MATTER WHAT!!

What the League continues to need is a real Marketing type who will explore
the ways to both increase revenue and membership in conjunction with the
Development Director.  Hopefully with the aid of Prexy W5JBP (a sales and
marketing type) this will stay on the table.
I told K1KI (he supports this) that there is no reason why the League shoud
not have 250K members!

73 Dave K4JRB
Assistant Director, SE Division