[SECC] Fwd: [CQ-Contest] ARLB007 ARRL Board Adopts Modified Novice Band Refarming Plan

Bill Coleman aa4lr@arrl.net
Wed, 23 Jan 2002 15:21:27 -0500

On 1/23/02 10:17 AM, Jay Pryor at jpryor@ARCHES.UGA.EDU wrote:

>So we are going to lose some of the CW band?  Yes, I know we can operate CW
>on the phone band, but in actual fact "expanding the phone band" means the
>CW band loses.

This isn't true, Jay.

The mode subbands on HF are setup not as "CW" and "Phone" bands at all.

Nor are they set up as "Wide" and "Narrow" bands.

The separation is Digital and Analog.

Digital modes are permitted in the lower subbands.
Analog modes are permitted in the higher subbands.
CW is permitted everywhere.

While we typically find CW in the digital subbands, there are no
regulatory restrictions for placing it there. Indeed, I often hear CW
stations "in the Phone band". The converse is not true (well, only true
for illegal operators, and those outside the FCC's juristiction).

The only way CW can "lose" is if we stop using it. As far as the
regulations go, CW is the only mode that can be used on any amateur
frequency.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901