[SECC] WRTC

David L. Thompson thompson@mindspring.com
Sun, 14 Jul 2002 04:12:04 -0400

Spending most of the day getting set up for running the cabrillo logs from
the CQ 160 Contests
I finally got on at about 2300Z and worked 6 stations before supper on 20
SSB.  Seems mots of the stations stayed on 20 CW if DX summit is correct.
I turned the beam to work W1AW/5 and the 40 meter element stuck in the trees
(they just keep growing).  So I can rotate the beam from 180 degrees to 310
degrees and no further.  Usually I can shake the guys but it was raining so
just tried to turn past the
sticking point but no good.

I went to supper with the family and returned to work on the non cabrillo
logs.  I turned on the rig and noticed that Europe was still quite loud so
over the course of the evening I put 24 different OJ calls in the log.  I
looked thru the notes and missed 2 OJ calls that came on SSB.  That with the
OJ stations being on the back of the beam (about 15DB front to back).  The
WRTC stations were on average 15 to 20 DB below the strong HQ stations and
they had to fight to keep a frequency.  I noticed a number of them actually
S&Ping between runs.  Loudest here was OJ3R and OJ4N with OJ8K not far
behind.

I logged them by hand so may try to send a list to the WRTC when I get back
from Church.  All were on 20 so its simple.  I did hear some HQ stations on
15 at 0630Z but they were S5 to 7 so the OJ gang
would not be readable on 15 until 1100 or 1130Z.

73 Dave K4JRB