[SECC] Re: Random thoughts about ARRL SS

K9AY K9AY" <k9ay@k9ay.com
Mon, 28 Oct 2002 20:47:26 -0600

More random thoughts on SS CW from a recent ex-Georgian...

Operating QRP, best bands were 20 and 40. 40 was sometimes the #1 producer of
QSOs. 80 often matched 15 in QSO production, and was the best place to get
nearby section mults. 10 depended entirely on propagation -- was good for the
long-haul mults -- AK, PAC, VE1, VE7, VE1, VO1, VY1

NOTE -- your antenna situation often dictates which band is best. I had a #5 QRP
finish from Colorado with about 75% of all QSOs on 40M -- I had a 40M beam
versus just a rotatable dipole on the higher bands. My good 80M results from GA
had help from the antenna, too -- full-size wire vertical or delta-loop.

See you in SS CW with my wires and topographically-challenged rental location in
WI. Although my antennas are 45 feet high, I can walk up the hill to the south
of the house and look over the top of them. (Don't be surprised if I send a
precedence of 'A' or even 'B' to help overcome this situation.)

73, Gary
K9AY