[SECC] Re: Random thoughts about ARRL SS

Michael Condon mcondon@attglobal.net
Tue, 29 Oct 2002 15:10:44 -0400

Jeff and Dan,
Thanks for the info.
I will probably haul down the wire and add as much horizontal as I can.   I
think I can get another 70 feet or so.
The match method I can do, I do have the W2FMI book.  A common mode choke
made of coax is always a good addition too.

I will be looking for a spool of wire at LV this weekend.

Thanks,
Mike, NE4S

-----Original Message-----
From: secc-admin@contesting.com [mailto:secc-admin@contesting.com]On Behalf
Of Jeffrey Clarke
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 1:52 PM
To: secc@contesting.com
Subject: RE: [SECC] Re: Random thoughts about ARRL SS

Michael,

  Here is what I used for 160 in Ohio :

 Cut a piece of wire about 130 ft long and get as much of it vertical
as you can. If you have the W2FMI book - Building Baluns and UNUN's
-look at page 65 figure 7.2 and build a 1.78:1 UNUN. A 1.5:1 or 2:1
UNUN would probably work too. Try to get at least one counterpoise wire
1/4 wavelength on 160 (or as long as you can) and just lay out some
other wires too. (as many as you can) You just trim the wire to get a
good match. Please note as you add more radials the SWR will change and
you will need to prune the wire some.

 My antenna was about 40 ft vertical and and I worked about 70 counties
using 100 watts. They are using this method to match the 160 antennas
at PJ2T and KP2A (KW8N op) too. (I seem to give these away after I
build one!!) I would be glad to come over and help you out since I
think we are neighbors HI !! GL...

             Jeff KU8E

=== message truncated ===