[SECC] N4LR - Random Thoughts long

Macie, Gordon GMacie at innotrac.com
Mon Dec 15 09:29:29 EST 2003

Random Thoughts..

Left the numbers at home..

Approx..
325k
756 q's 159 mult..   about 290 cw and 460 phone

my cw is finally getting a little better. Got my nerve up and even cq'd a
few times..

strange band.. open past midnight both nights. Almost sounded like meteor
scatter at times on Friday night with signal jumping many db intermittently
instantly, not the fading qsb type..

selective skip.. couldn't work iowa then worked about 5 in 10 minutes.. 3 in
a row..

poor to europe. didn't work many.. did work a couple of ua1 3 pm or so on
sunday afternoon.

worked 45 states cw and maybe 43 ssb..

missed
SOUTH CAROLINA !!!, Mississippi, North Dakota, Deleware and Alaska..

Heard all but Alaska and MIssissippi..
Saw them all spotted but Alaska..

It is difficult to work backscatter with low power and a dipole at 30 feet..
I called Cort about 5 times during the contest once he got LR and finally
the 4 but he gave up after a vaiant effort. I later caught him with the beam
se working a south american and managed to get Alabama. I also later worked
ky5r in alabama.. I tried calling a couple of sc heard k3me in del but he
was too weak..

2 interesting contacts.. I heard a ve2 calling cq 10-10. I didnt have QC so
I anwered him and chatted a couple of minutes and got my Qc..

Also early Sunday before any cafine .. head a kp4 calling a long cq..
answered him and he wanted to chat so i did.. after we finished he started
cqing again.. What I didn't catch the first time was he was sending CQ NO
CONTEST NO CONTEST... I didn't log him <g>
I really should wake up before trying cw..

Gordon N4LR