[SECC] KA9EKJ NAQP CW

Hoeft, Roger V rvhoeft@intergraph.com
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 08:12:57 -0600

As my experience in this facet of the hobby grows, I've come to believe that adequate physical AND mental preparation can add significantly to the final score.  Case in point:  Greg, K4NO had been trying to pump me up and set a goal of 100K points for the event.  THis seemed like a huge stretch for me, not remembering what my numbers were from last year.  I himmed and hawed at the suggestion and thought that I could set a goal of 400 Qs.

Saturday rolled around, I got the antennas set FB was getting ready to go.  30 minutes before the start, 3rd harmonic asks if I could put some gadget on his new bike.  A quick look at the watch, another quick look,  "uh, sure son, this shouldn't take THAT long."  Well, at 1758 I hustled into the shack, fired up the rig and laptop, and dialed in the 10M 'meet me' frequency Greg and I set up.  By 1703 I was ready to go.

No K4NO.  I thought I missed him (in fact, I didn't work Greg at all).  Turns out the skip was way long.  OK, time to start plugging away.  At 1825 I decided to check WWV and make sure the logger clock was set OK.  WWV said 1826, the logger said 1726 - I forgot to reset the laptop clock.  Oops.  In hind sight I should have taken that first half-hour off and re-collected myself and my thoughts and attacked at 1830.

Well, the numbers are like this:

Band	Qs	Mults
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
160	67	28
80	100	34
40	144	42
20	98	36
15	31	14
10	12	9
	452	163	73,676 points

For some reason I thought I had 350 or so Qs last year and 400 would be a good number to shoot for.  Turns out I had 403 Qs last year and I was setting myself up short of a realistic, stretch goal.  Like most everyone else this is a personal best as well, but I feel like I left a bunch of Qs on the table and this leaves me somewhat empty.

Oh, well.  Woulda, coulda, shoulda.

73
	Roger ...
	KA9EKJ