[SECC] KA9EKJ NAQP CW

Dan/W4NTI w4nti@mindspring.com
Thu, 16 Jan 2003 11:08:36 -0600

Great story.....I do it somewhat different.  I rely on luck and my Murphy
trap at the front door.  hi.

Dan/W4NTI

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hoeft, Roger V" <rvhoeft@intergraph.com>
To: "SECC" <secc@contesting.com>
Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2003 8:12 AM
Subject: [SECC] KA9EKJ NAQP CW

> As my experience in this facet of the hobby grows, I've come to believe
that adequate physical AND mental preparation can add significantly to the
final score.  Case in point:  Greg, K4NO had been trying to pump me up and
set a goal of 100K points for the event.  THis seemed like a huge stretch
for me, not remembering what my numbers were from last year.  I himmed and
hawed at the suggestion and thought that I could set a goal of 400 Qs.

> Saturday rolled around, I got the antennas set FB was getting ready to go.
30 minutes before the start, 3rd harmonic asks if I could put some gadget on
his new bike.  A quick look at the watch, another quick look,  "uh, sure
son, this shouldn't take THAT long."  Well, at 1758 I hustled into the
shack, fired up the rig and laptop, and dialed in the 10M 'meet me'
frequency Greg and I set up.  By 1703 I was ready to go.

> No K4NO.  I thought I missed him (in fact, I didn't work Greg at all).
Turns out the skip was way long.  OK, time to start plugging away.  At 1825
I decided to check WWV and make sure the logger clock was set OK.  WWV said
1826, the logger said 1726 - I forgot to reset the laptop clock.  Oops.  In
hind sight I should have taken that first half-hour off and re-collected
myself and my thoughts and attacked at 1830.

> Well, the numbers are like this:
>
> Band Qs Mults
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> 160 67 28
> 80 100 34
> 40 144 42
> 20 98 36
> 15 31 14
> 10 12 9
> 452 163 73,676 points
>
> For some reason I thought I had 350 or so Qs last year and 400 would be a
good number to shoot for.  Turns out I had 403 Qs last year and I was
setting myself up short of a realistic, stretch goal.  Like most everyone
else this is a personal best as well, but I feel like I left a bunch of Qs
on the table and this leaves me somewhat empty.