[SECC] re : N8SM Tower Accident

ku8e at bellsouth.net ku8e at bellsouth.net
Tue Jun 17 16:08:43 EDT 2003

 Hi All...

 By now I'm sure many of you have heard about the tragic dead of Steve Miller,
 N8SM. (ex-WD8IXE) He was killed instantly after he fell off his tower this
 past Sunday. This news has hit me especially hard since I have been good
 friends with Steve going back to the days that we both were attending Ohio
 State University in the 1980's. That was the peak of contesting at W8LT with
 N8VW, KD8NS(W4EF), K3JT, W8LX, WD8IXE and myself all vying for the operating
 position.

   I have many good memories of all the fun we had back at W8LT, all the
 various multi-ops we did together up in Ohio at KS8S, W8FN, KW8N and other
 places. One year we even setup and operated Field Day from my parents
 backyard. Another year all of us from W8LT took a boat over to Pelee
 Island, in Lake Erie to do FD as W8LT/VE3. Getting there was just as memorable
 as the contest because of the gale warnings on the lake. I can assure you that
 the waves on Lake Erie can get as high as ocean waves after that experience.
 We had a good laugh about that afterwards along with some beers.

 One of my favorite memories was from the mid 1990's when I went to J6DX to operate CQWW DX SSB with Steve. That was the first time I met a cocky young contester named Paul Gentry - who we all know now as  K9PG. I remember the fun we had exploring St. Lucia during the week. We even went to the airport one day and the 3 of us along with Dale, W8KTQ , took a  helicoptor ride over the island. We managed to talk the pilot to hover over the J6DX QTH and got some great pictures !

 It always sucks when we lose someone from the contesting fraternity but it
 sucks even more when that person is a good friend too....

                              Jeff  KU8E