[SECC] WPX SSB notes

David L. Thompson thompson at mindspring.com
Sun Mar 30 22:44:06 EST 2003

Congrats to K4BAI (NQ4I) and KU8E for their efforts as SOSB on 15 and 20.  I
think Jeff's score
is probably a record for GA on 20 single band.  I remember years ago that we
almost had no chance to beat the Long Island stations (mainly K2HFX).  I
worked both and found NQ4I when I fired up W4BCV too.  John was running
stations I could just hear with my beam stuck east.

Paul and his team had NF4A running smoothly from St. George's Island
Florida.  I worked Paul on both 20 and 40 (his back scatter was 59+10 on
20).  I heard N4NX (also worked), W4NTI, and WB4SQ.

With my beam stuck East I worked every African in the contest.  When the
rains came the rotor
started to move again.  I worked 104 QSOs between log checking the CQ 160
and trying to re-hook the rigs for SO2R.  One of my FT 980's decided to only
output 20 watts rather than 100 but I cured that but I also had some PC
problems.  I got the message about an unwanted script running so I followed
Norton's instructions and cancelled that and re-booted but lost about half
the QSOs in writelog although I do have the calls, times, and dates in my
back up log.

Listened on 160 but only heard a few local Dx stations.  So I spent a little
on 15 and 20.  Even with the beam east I worked BW3/UA, and a number of
JA's.  Late Saturday with the beam swinging again I was able to work most DX
on 40 first call.  John OR3T said I was about the loudest at his QTH.
Rarest Dx was SU9NC and ST0RY.   On 75 the Europeans that were loud were
loud (EA, CQ9, TM5C, IR4T) but the rest were much weaker than they had been
in the ARRL SSB.  3V8BB was the rarest DX.  Boy was HC8N loud on 75 and 40!

I noticed that 20 was down somewhat on Sunday about 2000Z to Europe.  Seems
the W1's were getting the skip.  I still usually got the stations on one
call.  I did a spin thru 10 meters where VK4WPX told me I was +20DB at his
QTH.  He was S8 here.  I listen off and on for the Far east but only heard
JA7 and DU9RG weakly on back scatter.  So I went to 40 to try out my SO2R.
Both FT 980's worked well.  I will hook up my two FT-920's for perhaps the
SP contest in a couple of weeks.  Now if I can just get my beam to swing
back to NE HI.

With USA to USA now counting 1 point the QSO count seems to have increased.
The SF reached 155 after being below 100 for the week before but the weak JA
opening tells us the cycle is headed down hill.

Again Congrats to John and Jeff

73 Dave K4JRB