[SECC] WPX SSB notes

ku8e at bellsouth.net ku8e at bellsouth.net
Mon Mar 31 13:21:56 EST 2003

Thanks Dave...

Some observations fron NQ4I :

Rick told me before the contest that this is the best 20 meter setup he has ever had. He was sure right about that !!! The 5/5/5 stack is a killer. Condx
to EU were not as good as past WPX's (i.e NO EU opening over the pole during the night time hours) but I was still able to keep a good rate running US and working other DX that called in. Activity was really good from UA9/0 at night and a little later in the night I had some good rate running VK/ZL. I don't ever recall working so many VK/ZL's in a DX contest before. There have to be between 50-75 of them in the log. I even got all the VK call areas as multipliers after VK8AV called me Sunday morning on LP. My guess is that more than 50% of my QSO's were with W/VE but hey..... they all count don't they ???

Best time to run EU seemed to be from 2 pm - 5 pm. The morning opening was very short... I guess everyone had headed up to 15 meters. I decided to sleep in some on Sunday morning since there didn't seem to be much competition from anyone doing SO/20 meters and I wasn't going to break any records this year because of the poor condx. I ended up taking 16 hours off but it would of been nice to have a couple of those back so I could of broken 2K QSO's.... Oh well...

Thanks again to Rick and GeorgeAnn for their hospitality !!!!

                              Jeff KU8E