[SECC] Club activities

ku8e at bellsouth.net ku8e at bellsouth.net
Wed Nov 19 16:32:51 EST 2003

  I have observed the problem of "lack of participation" first hand in other contest clubs I have belonged to in the past. I bet most of you didn't know that the North Coast Contesters was formed by a bunch of ex-Mad River members who were sick of the lack of participation we had been going through at that time. They made their club by invitation only and had quotas you had to reach to stay a member. Some people were "turned off" by that but that's the extreme that some have to go to sometimes. Anyway since then things have changed - MRRC is now a pretty good club with better participation... alot of the credit goes to K8CC, who stepped up, along with some of the other active members , and came up with fun things to do that made people want to participate.

Here are some observations about SECC since I have been here :

1) The club presidents seemed to be AWOL ????  Hello K4EA are you out there ???  We need someone to be a leader and remind people that a contest or special event is coming up - Like the GQP ??? - rally the troups to give their
support. The only person I have seen do that in this club is K4BAI.

2) We need to have club meetings. What we did in MRRC is make our meetings centered around a large hamfest or maybe a gathering during the Summer for
a cookout. It's fun to interact (in person) with fellow contesters ...  Why do you think it's so fun to go to Dayton ??? The contest suites are what make it special. I'm sure that most of us don't go just to fight the crowds and sometimes filfy conditions to find the same junk in the flea market that we could probably find at home !!! I'm sorry but Hara Arena is a dump !!! Too
bad they will not move it somewhere else. I go to Dayton for the contest activities. If they didn't have that I wouldn't even bother.

 In Mad River we had traditional meetings like the K8MR Xmas Party that has been going on for almost 30 years. People come from OH,MI, and WPA for this party every year. Both K8CC and W8AV have  hosted meetings/cookouts - showing off their stations along with lots of good food and contest talk. We need to come up with some fun events/meeting ideas that everyone will mark on their calendars every year...

3) How about a weekly net on 75 meters so we can share what's going on ??? The
internet communication just doesn't cut the mustard all the time...

4) Pick a few contests every year to shoot for winning the club competition.
If everyone knows we are trying to win maybe they might get on the air and contribute their score to the effort. If I know we are not going for a win
in the club category I might choose to just skip the contest all together... BTW that is easy to do with the bad conditions we have had lately .... HI !

I can tell you that every club has this "lack of participation" problem. Everyones lives are going thru changes and maybe we just can't get on the air
as much as we like to anymore. I am having that problem now... trying to juggle
my desire to contest with my family responsiblities... and that's hard for someone who has been a "hardcore" contester all their life !!! The last thing we should do is to make threats about having operating quotas or maybe kicking people out the the club. I am sure if we try some of the ideas I listed above
things will change for the good. Someone just has to step forward and get it
going......

                             73, Jeff  KU8E

PS: Sorry Ed but I'm not going to do a RTTY Contest !!! That's like doing a CW contest with a code reader !!!