[SECC] K4BAI - NA Sprint SSB

John Laney k4bai at worldnet.att.net
Mon Sep 15 14:15:05 EDT 2003

Sorry we couldn't get up a team for this event.  Maybe next time in
February 2004.

I only operated 3 1/2 hours.  20 and 40 went long early.  By the last 45
minutes, I couldn't make a contact in the General Class bands anywhere
except on 3855.  Since the rules prohibit "rounding" contacts (contacts
on the same frequency without an intervening QSO somewhere else), I was
out of the contact business before the contest was over.  Missed
Georgia, South Carolina, and a few other close in states.

I made 363 QSOs in WAE SSB.  Conditions weren't too good on 15, but
contacts were possible, and 20 was pretty good.  I didn't hear any
signals on 10 from Europe and very few from South America trying to work
Europe there.  40 was pretty good and I got all but one station that I
heard listening above 7225 on Friday night.  Didn't try again Saturday
night due to fatigue.

Please note that UK and Germany have given their VHF hams HF privileges,
  so there are a lot of new (and mostly weak) HF hams in those countries
to work.  New calls are G1, G6, and G8 calls with three letters, M3 and
M5 calls and maybe M1, 2E calls that were Novices, there were two GU7
stations on Guernsey, and all of these new hams have three letter
suffixes.  In Germany, there are DC, DD, DG, calls at least--I'm not
sure about DB and DO.  Most of these are two letter suffixes, but some
are three letter suffixes.  In the Netherlands, there are also new
suffixes, but I'm not sure that they are former VHF operators.  I worked
two PE2 stations, one with a two letter suffix and one with three
letters, and have recently also worked an active contest station PG7V.
These calls will not appear in Super Check Partial for some time, so
active contesters should become familiar with them.  The former VHFers
will be primarily on SSB, but some of them (or their calls) will
eventually appear on CW.

The Tennessee QSO Party was also this weekend.  I worked 26 of them
toward the end, including mobile operations from KM4FO and K4LTA.
Didn't find the only county I still need in Tennessee...Cannon.

Hope everyone has a good week.

See the NAQP report below (I hope).

73,

John, K4BAI.