[SECC] NAQP SSB K4BAI January 2004

K4SB k4sb at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 19 05:12:33 EST 2004

"John T. Laney, III" wrote:
> I had thought I would be part-time because my sister-in-law and her
> husband were to be visiting us this weekend.  Unfortunately for them,
> their car engine blew when they were an hour out of Augusta and they had
> to turn back.

I need to speak to your brother and find out how they turned back with
a blown engine.
------------
>found a spot to run on 3858 and had my best rates of the contest.

Same here. I checked the rate meter in Writelog at one time and it was
208 per hour.

I have planned for some time to do a log by log analysis for the Club
members, and see if I can spot any problems. For example, I own CO and
CA on 15, but on 20, it's a pretty bad story. I can vary the big 5
element from 24 to 92 feet, but I have to keep it at full height
because the 80 dipole comes off the top.

Next antenna project will probably be a Moxon on 40. I finished
putting up the 4 support ropes on Thursday, and now just a matter of
building the antenna. Unfortunately, it won't rotate, but my lot is
aligned from the street at a perfect 45 degrees so should have a good
point for EU. Height of the thing will be 70'.

So, if anyone wants to send me your cabrillo log, I'll strip it of
everything except the frequency and call info and see what I can spot
with each log. For those of you not aware of it, I maintain several
databases for some of the big contest programs, including CT, NA, TR,
and WL and the first thing I do is strip the CAB header, and then just
extract the data I want. The log is then destroyed.

Work on the circle is finally going well. Found out I was using COSINE
of an angle instead of ARC COSINE, and that pretty well fixed it.

Also found 90% of the web sites on the WEB do not have the correct
figures to the circumference of the Earth at the Equator.

Also doing some work on W4AN's hypothesis that you better be loud into
the 2,3,8,9 areas and have broken down the FCC database to where I
have counts of all the call areas. If you're curious, 4 land has (
including all calls ) 106,225 hams minus No Code Techs and Novices.
Think I will also remove Techs. Second place goes to California with
79,670 hams. Strangely enough, 3s are the lowest with 28,934 followed
by 9s with 39,302. Will post the entire grouping later.

73
Ed