[SECC] Last Week's Contests Claimed Scores

John Laney k4bai at worldnet.att.net
Thu Jun 10 13:09:13 EDT 2004

Hello all:

I have received no reports of contest activity within the club from last
weekend, although I did not thoroughly review the report of the Spartan
Sprint on Monday night.  My bad.  Hope someone was able to participate.
  I had forgotten that Weesie and I were attending the show in Columbus
of the touring company of the Broadway play "Rent," so I missed the SP
this  month.

QRP Telephone Area Code Sprint

K4BAI  28 QSOs, all CW, 26 TAC mults = 2912 + 500 bonus points for one
QSO with N3EPA = 3412.  Time:  1.1 of the 6 hours.  SO2R.

Weesie bought a new car (a Mazda MPV) Saturday and that took up the
first part of the TAC Sprint and the latter part was taken up with
eating dinner and going to see "Rent."  Seemed to have pretty good
conditions on 40.  No contest signals heard on 15 or 10.  20 was really
poor.  SO2R setup still works very well at QRP levels.

I heard no one calling for the World Radio Friends QSO Party.  This was
even worse participation than I had imagined.  I thought there would
have been a few stations trying, but, during the time I had to listen
over the weekend, I heard none.

I did work about 51 UK and European portable stations on 20 M in their
FD and NFD.  All on 20 meters.  No signals heard from Europe on 15.
Didn't get on when 40 or 80 would have been open to Europe.  Nice to
help those guys out with their FD.  We usually work a few Europeans from
our FD site, but the exchange is such that it isn't as easy for them to
catch on for ARRL FD QSOs as it is for us to give them RST + serial
numbers in their FD.

73,

John, K4BAI.