[SECC] writelog

Neal Sulmeyer, K4EA k4ea at contesting.com
Wed Mar 10 18:26:57 EST 2004

I have been using Writelog since version 8.x, about 6 years now.  Single op,
SO2R, Multi-two, and Multi-Multi.  None of the issues Dave brings up have
been a problem for me.

I have used my licensed version with many different calls, no problems.
(AE6E, K4JPD, K4EA, NJ4U, K4TW, and W4NH to name a few)

Writelog uses the "licensed call" to determine from which DXCC entity you
are operating, and thus score the contact with the proper point value.  If
you stay within your DXCC entity there will be no problem using a different
call.  However, if you wish to operate from a different DXCC entity you can
get another key, based on the DX call sign, from Ron (at Writelog) at no
additional charge.  (Ed, I'm sure the folks at Writelog appreciate you
paying for two licenses!)

Using Writelog with networked computers works very well.  Since the data
passed through the network in miniscule, a peer-to-peer network is more than
sufficient.  No need to spend bucks on a server.  Besides, if the server
crashes, everyone on the network is down.  If a workstation crashes (not
uncommon with Win 98) just reboot, restart writelog, and the log
synchronizes with the other instances of Writelog.  I have very rarely had a
situation where all logs were not identical at the end of the contest.  In
those rare cases, Writelog has a file merge function that works quite well.

In fact Writelog really shines in a Multi-station (M/2 or M/M)
configuration.  Cluster spots, passing stations to the other bands
("skeds"), network gab all work very smoothly.  Adding the "Operator" to the
log also allows multiple sets of ".wav" flies for voice keying that are
switched when the "operator" changes.  I personally have used Writelog in an
8 computer network with no problems, and 12 or 15 should not be a problem. I
could go on and on about the virtues of Writelog.

My current computer setup in the ham shack is as follows:

Station 1: PII 333Mhz 128MB RAM.  Dual monitors 17" flat panel and 15" CRT.
8 port Digi serial board. 6G HD WIN 2K.  K5DJ keyer for 2 radio support.

Station 2: PI 166Mhz 128MB RAM.  17" CRT monitor, 4 port serial card, 2G HD
Win 98.  This computer is a little slow when doing RTTY but it still works.
It's just fine for CW and Phone contests as long as the QSO count doesn't
get to big  (This is also the computer I use when VHF contesting with the
Fourlanders)

The two computers (as well as my home office computer) are networked through
a LinkSys 4 port router with Internet port.  I'm on cable with Adelphia but
DSL would work too.

Rick, if you would like help designing a network and configuring for
writelog, I'll be glad to help.  You will probably be able to get me to come
operate with you then!

Neal Sulmeyer, K4EA
Senior Software Engineer
Corporate Nextel Coordinator