[SECC] 2004 ARRL Spring VHF Contest

ku8e at bellsouth.net ku8e at bellsouth.net
Fri May 7 16:16:44 EDT 2004

Jeff and others ...

 I have taken my IC706MKIIG to the top of Clingmans Dome, in the Smokey Mtns National Park, which is the 2nd highest mountain on the east coast of the US. I think it is something like 6500 ft high. This was during a family vacation and I was just using a 5/8th wave mobile whip and during a non-contest weekend.
There was no activity on 2 meter SSB or CW but I heard plenty of repeaters from all over the NC, TN and GA area. I checked higher in the band where the NWS stations are. I could hear the NWS broadcasts as far west as Nashville, up into NC and VA and as far south as Atlanta. I would think based on that 2 meters would be alot of fun. I also heard a 6 meter beacon in the Atlanta area - but I can't remember the call.....

I have always dreamed of going back there with some real antennas !!! I bet it would be fun.

BTW.. I always used to work AA4ZZ , who I think operates on a hill around Knoxville, in VHF contests from Ohio on both 6 and 2 meters....

              73 Jeff  KU8E