[SECC] Old Times

John Vickers wa4tt at nlamerica.com
Fri Nov 12 19:22:43 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: "archie mckay"
> John Laney: who was the guy in Atlanta, I think either an active or
retired
> airline pilot, who was very active on GSN during the 60s? I think he was
> NCS on at least one night of the week.

Archie-- that may have been W4CZN.

> John Vickers, check with me at a hamfest or some other in person encounter
> and I will tell you the secret behind Lamar Hill's BIG signal.

I already know--- I would go over to Lamars and spend the weekend and
operate his station during the height of the Viet Nam traffic era. The amp
was in the garage and sometimes we operated 24 hr straight. He and the SE AF
Mars director also got me a pass and stint at the station at Robbins AFB. My
early experience in CW traffic nets and the Mars program got me assigned to
the station at Ft Leonard Wood , Mo instead of some rice paddy QRP rig after
I went into the army. At that young age -- I didn't fully appreciate what a
blessing Ham radio was in my life. You can bet I've thought about it many
times since then !!----------John WA4TT