[SECC] SECC

John Laney k4bai at worldnet.att.net
Thu Sep 2 17:06:13 EDT 2004

Hello all:

I think the discussion is good.  Remember that we were founded as an
OPERATING club.  The club was founded by W4AN with help from a few
others.  Bill was not one to set up or go to social events unless they
were in conjunction with some competitive operating event.  Sorry, but
that is my read on it.

I think it would be good if the club had social events from time to
time.  All it takes is some volunteers to organize them.  We had a very
successful picnic at NQ4I's old QTH a few years ago.  I think we tried
to schedule another one since and some disaster happened to cause us to
cancel.

We are doing pretty well on the operating event part.  I am not in favor
of kicking anybody out because they are not as active right now as they
once were or may be in the future.  I'll do as Jeff suggests and review
the membership list and give him my take on who is active and to what
extent.  It is my impression that Bill, AA4LR, club secretary,keeps that
list up to date as others join.

I don't think that the results of the Ga QSO Party from 2003 have been
mailed out with certificates yet.  KT4ZB, can you bring us up to date on
that?  The GQP chairman for 2003 disappeared and we had to re-solicit
logs, etc.  We had the results posted before this year's contest, but
the certificates probably haven't been mailed out.  I haven't received
one.  Most state QSO Parties try to get the results out for one year a
few months before the next running of the party.  The mailing should
ideally (whenever it goes out) give the results of the last running and
hype the upcoming running.  I ran it for about 20 years and I always got
the results out before the next running (it was in May--on Mother's Day
during those years).  Now, with computer programs and computer log
checking, we should do better, but we have never promised results by a
certain date.  I hope Jeff will continue to do the GQP promotion and
logchecking.  I am not competent with computers to be able to do that
these days and, frankly I paid my dues during 20 years when I manually
cross-checked every claimed QSO against every other log received.

We do desperately need a volunteer who is familiar with maintaining
wegpages to update our webpage and to maintain it thereafter.  Again, I
am not competent to do that.  Any volunteer, please contact KU8E
directly with a copy to K4EA, president of SECC and to K4BAI, vpres.

Thanks to all of you for your continued support of SECC and its
operating activities.  Any volunteers to sponsor social activities
should stand up and be counted.

73,

John, K4BAI.