[SECC] Club

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Sat Sep 4 09:35:30 EDT 2004

On Sep 4, 2004, at 7:15 AM, Tommy wrote:

> I have been reading the responses, or if you will, the defenses, about
> the SECC. And unfortunately, with the exception of K4GA, the word
> 'change' is not in the vocabulary of the members.

I disagree, Tom. Change for the better is certainly a good thing. What
would you have us change?

> The SECC elect's club officers...what for?....how do they promote the
> club?....evidentally that is not their job?....what is their job?

As club secretary, what more would you have me do? Be specific.

> Camaraderie is not, and will not be, what  the SECC is about...unless
> a member 'takes the reigns' and does it...what do the officers do?

If you are at Shelby this weekend, there's a face-to-face meeting going
on.

> There is no face to face information exchange...how do you work a
> particular contest...how do you install a tower...what is you
> experience under contest conditions of radio brand x?...Are quads a
> better contest antenna that a yagi?....Oh yea....the reflector.

Actually, for some of this information, exchanges on the reflector
aren't so bad.

> If a ham moves to Georgia, how does he/she find out about  the SECC?

Here's a retorical question -- how does he/she find out about any
amateur club?

> The ONLY purpose of the SECC is to have a place to post a contest
> score? What the heck does that accomplish? I can post my scores as an
> individual contester.

You can't enter into the Club competition as an individual. The SECC
has actually made a pretty good showing in the Medium contest category.

> The SECC has been this way for 7 years?

No. The ARRL changed the rules in the last couple of years where they
no longer required any face-to-face meetings. Before that, we had a
limited number of meetings each year.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901