A long post about the SECC...was: Re: [SECC]

Lee Hiers aa4ga at contesting.com
Sat Sep 4 15:03:10 EDT 2004

On 4 Sep 2004 at 9:44, Bill Coleman wrote:

>  From the by-laws:
> "It shall be our purpose to further the exchange of information and
> cooperation between members, to promote contesting knowledge,
> fraternalism and individual/team operating efficiency, and to conduct
> club programs and activities to advance the general interest and
> welfare of Amateur Radio Contesting in the community."

I'm not saying it isn't in the by-laws...I'm saying that it's not the
intent of the founders.  As I mentioned before, and I think you
acknowledged, the by-laws were written solely to satisfy the ARRL
requirements for club affiliation.

There are some (many perhaps) that believe that since these by-laws
are written, and accepted, that they should actually govern.  I'm not
necessarily one of these people.

> > Well, first I don't think there should be such a rule.  I'm
> > all for keeping "dead wood" on the roster that may only
> > submit a score once every three years.  That way their
> > points go in the aggregate, otherwise we get nothing.
>
> Maybe so. Of course, there are folks who have moved out of the circle
> without informing us, who can't really contribute scores now anyway.

Well, to work around that, you could periodically check on the less
vocal / active to see if they're still in the neighborhood...if not
you could see about deleting them.

> > Again, recruitment isn't the purpose.  But if you want to
> > get more out of it, go ahead and take the initiative, don't
> > try to force it upon those of us who signed on based on the
> > original intent.
>
> I don't see any evidence of anyone "forcing" anything on anyone else.
> Just people asking for something more than we've been providing. It's a
> desire to enhance the club, not alter it.

That's fine...as long as nothing further is required of those of us
who just want to submit scores (and that we won't be made to feel
like second-class members because of our choice), like I said: go
ahead and take the initiative and organize activities.  It's always
been that way, and should continue to be so.

73 de Lee

--
Lee Hiers, AA4GA
Cornelia, Georgia