[SECC] Help when needed

archie mckay arcub at alltel.net
Sat Sep 4 16:12:06 EDT 2004

I sent the following e-mail to Tom direct. It might bear sharing with the
grou

Tom
With all due respect, I found help overflowing when I joined SECC and
started contesting about four or five years ago. For the first two years,
prior to each contest, I would ask, here on the reflector, for tips on how
to operate that particular contest. Bill, W4AN, and John, K4BAI, two
experienced men and outstanding contesters, would always respond with
lengthy posts and then answer any and all questions. Bill, for example,
posted on one of the Web sites a full and complete treatment of the Sprint
contest, not geared to his abilities but to the beginners. I highly
recommend that site for anyone, pro or newbie, who wishes to work the
Sprint. Further, John would always post detailed ideas on how to work a
certain contest. These are not the only ones. I remember Lee, AA4GA, helping
me understand a couple or three things. I received encouraging notes from
just about every active SECC member. When I decided to try RTTY, Matt, K4AQ,
and ED, K4SB, jumped right in and told me enough to get me going, then
talked me into a couple of RTTY contests. Bill, AA4LR, is a crackerjack SSB
contester and will share his knowledge in a heartbeat. These are just a few
that come to mind. When I was buying a new rig and asked for ideas on the
rigs I had in mind, AE4Y shared his experiences with a TS570D(G) and I
bought one and it has worked great in all the contests.

The answer? Ask and ye shall receive. Suggestion to you Tom. Just to check
me out on this, ask on the reflector about some tips for operating the
upcoming CW Sprint. I realize you are probably an old pro at this contest,
but just ask and see what responses you get.

Lastly, Tom, forget the Valdosta ARC unless you are interested in the two
meter repeater there. However, the South Georgia Amateur Radio Club has a
few contesters and some potential contesters in it. I suggest you contact
Bob Lacey, AB4HQ, who is a member and former neighbor of mine, and he can
tell you about the club. Kick a few of those guys in the shins and tell them
Archie made you do it. They will get with the program and you can help build
a fine group of contesters down there.
73, Archie, K4GA