[SECC] Club

Bill Coleman aa4lr at arrl.net
Sun Sep 5 18:24:54 EDT 2004

On Sep 4, 2004, at 1:04 PM, Tommy wrote:

> I think the entire point of the discussion has been missed completely.
> I am
> not, and I would think Jeff is not, interested in making wholesale
> changes
> to the SECC. What I am asking is what does this club do!

Good question. The purpose of the club is outlined in the bylaws. An
earlier version of the bylaws is currently on the web site.

>  In reality, the
> answer I see posted have been 'nothing but post scores'.

For Lee, that's all he wants out of the club. And we're happy to have
him. When he actually has time to get on the air and post a score for
us, that's great. We don't require him to do any more than that.

> I personally, do
> not get into contest to enter any club competition, I enter contest
> for the
> fun of it and for the ongoing competition with my fellow hams. As a
> member
> of a club I get the additional competative urge to 'beat' my fellow
> club
> members, for the fun of it.

Sounds great! I always feel better when I beating N4LR or W4ATL in a
contest. (Which doesn't happen very often....)

> I asked the question of 'what is the job of the club officers', not to
> be
> provacative as accused, but since most of the answers about
> stimulating club
> camaraderie was "if you  want to do something, do it". If the club
> officers
> are not the one's responsible for stimulating the club, who is?

We all are.

I've taken some initiative this weekend. I've gone through the club
roster and found all the results credited to the SECC in the last year
(and I used a very loose interpretation of credit).

For all the guys who haven't even submitted one contest in the last
year, I've sent an e-mail -- a Roll Call, if you will -- to see if they
are still interested in the club.

With the bounced e-mails and lots of lookups on the web, this has
resulted in more than 100 individual e-mails. So far, I've heard from a
handful. We'll see what transpires this week.

Here's another idea. Some years ago K4OGG and others had a PowerPoint
presentation on contesting. We used to host a contest forum at several
hamfests. Perhaps we can update this presentation and make the rounds
of local clubs or hamfests.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr at arrl.net
             -- Wilbur Wright, 1901