[SECC] Club

Lee Hiers aa4ga at contesting.com
Sat Sep 4 15:15:31 EDT 2004

On 4 Sep 2004 at 13:04, Tommy wrote:

> I think the entire point of the discussion has been missed completely. I am
> not, and I would think Jeff is not, interested in making wholesale changes
> to the SECC. What I am asking is what does this club do! In reality, the
> answer I see posted have been 'nothing but post scores'. I personally, do
> not get into contest to enter any club competition, I enter contest for the
> fun of it and for the ongoing competition with my fellow hams. As a member
> of a club I get the additional competative urge to 'beat' my fellow club
> members, for the fun of it.

And I think you're missing the point of what the club is for.  Yes,
it is primarily a score repository...for all scores - big and small.
Look at the scores I've submitted in recent years and they're always
near the bottom of the listings.  It's been several years since I've
been involved in trying to place in the top-10 of a contest.

But the part that seems to be missed is the "virtual meeting" concept
that is the reflector.  If you want a friendly challenge among club
members in, say, the SS - it's up to you to talk it up!  It's been
done!  I've done it in the past, but not lately due to my relative
lack of contest activity.  Anyone can do it.  *You* can do it!
(that's a rhetorical "you" BTW)

Hey, contest season is coming up - how about picking a contest and
acting as cheerleader for it?

73 de Lee

--
Lee Hiers, AA4GA