[SECC] answers

archie mckay arcub at alltel.net
Sun Sep 5 22:50:29 EDT 2004

1.  What got you interested in ham Radio?
The magic of those tubes glowing in the night, the sound of far away voices,
the U.S. Army Security Agency telling me if I didn't learn to copy 25 WPM
they would send me to cook and baker's school.

2.  What is your favorite mode and why?
CW. It is the only second language I have, unless you don't accept my
English and then CW would be my first.

3. What got you interested in contesting?
After 40 years of DXing etc I was about tired of ham radio. John, K4BAI, a
longtime friend, talked me into trying contesting. I joined "his" club, the
SECC, entered my first contest and here I am. My competitive juices went the
way of age long ago, but I still enjoy a few hours of a contest. I have
never worked a full contest. My legs, head and general health won't sustain
the strain.

4. What is your favorite contest and why?
SS and the CQWWs, because there are a lot of people to work, very few down
times and I can come and go without missing too much.

5.  What is your current station line up? Rigs, antennas, etc.
Kenwood TS570D(G), Ten Tec Omni D, Kenwood TS520S, Ameritron AL80A,
tribander which is roof mounted (chimney) and G5RV.

6. Besides radio, what do you do for fun?
Enjoy retirement, read about 12 hours each day, sometimes play golf, sit on
the deck and contemplate my navel while loooking at the beautiful mountains
of Rabun County.

7.  What do you do for a living?
Nothing, I am retired. I spent more than 40 years as a journalist in the
daily newspaper world, retiring as editor of The Valdosta Daily Times. At
present, I write a weekly column for The Clayton Tribune, just to keep my
finger in the pie.

8.  What improvements do you plan to make to your station before the CQ WW
SSB contest in Oct 2004?
 None

9.  How long have you been licensed?
41 years.

10.  What part of the hobby do you like the least?
Those who act less than gentlemanly or ladylike. There was a time...never
mind.

73, Archie, K4GA