[SECC] Club

Lee Hiers aa4ga at contesting.com
Mon Sep 6 23:29:14 EDT 2004

On 5 Sep 2004 at 19:58, Greg Richard wrote:

> I think we all need
> to take a few minutes to fill out the following
> questionaire so we will learn a bit about each person in
> the club. Post your answers to the reflector.

OK...here ya go...

> 1.  What got you interested in ham Radio?

Reading ARRL publications in the school library and listening to
shortwave broadcasts on a really cheap RX.  It had no BFO, so the
only time I could hear any hams it was the few folks that still
operated AM.

> 2.  What is your favorite mode and why?

CW.  Almost anybody can operate SSB, CW requires a greater
involvement with what you're doing.  Plus CW is more efficient and
just plain sounds better!

> 3. What got you interested in contesting?

When I started studying for my first exam, a neighbor loaned me a
Gonset mobile receiver.  I could hear a lot of folks calling "CQ NST"
at times; I asked my neighbor what that was and he didn't know.
Sounded interesting though...
> 4. What is your favorite contest and why?

Over my lifetime, I'd have to say that CWSS is my favorite, although
I generally don't get to operate it seriously.  Lately, I prefer the
Sprints and NAQP because of the shorter time periods.  Plus the
Sprint is absolutely the best measure of operating ability IMO.   I
also like the IARU contest a lot, and am really glad they've added a
low-power class.

> 5.  What is your current station line up? Rigs, antennas, etc.

Two FT-990s, TH7 at 80', 40-2CD at 70' on a ring-rotor, little wire
on 80m.  I've also got an SB-1000 that I normally don't use in
contests, but occasionally do run at about 500w out for Sprints and
IARU...which shouldn't be required any more.  Now that all contests
that I might enter have low power recognition, I don't feel the need
to run an amplifier.  I use a Top Ten DX Doubler, and have, but
rarely use, a Dunestar bandpass filter - it's just not really needed
at low power.  I switch antennas with a WX0B SixPak.  I run TR log.
So, with the limitations of using a tribander, I'm set up fairly well
for SO2R.

Oh, I've also got an Icom 706 that I use with PAR loops for rovering
on 6/2/432.  I've only done this once so far though.

> 6. Besides radio, what do you do for fun?

Play music, fish.

> 7.  What do you do for a living?

Play music, fish.

I finally decided after about 25 years of work that I should do
something I enjoy for a change, so I'm working in a flyshop and
playing as much music as possible, trying to get on with a national
touring group.  I'm also doing some general business consulting on
the side.  I make about 25% as much money as I was making 6 months
ago, but I'm at least 4X happier, so it's a good trade-off.

> 8.  What improvements do you plan to make to your
> station before the CQ WW SSB contest in Oct 2004?

These are not necessarily plans before this contest season, but stuff
I need to do:  Put up a 2nd TH7 at 40', and put together a better 80m
antenna, and get *something* up on 160.  Then probably a low-noise RX
antenna.  I'd like to put up a 10/15/20m vertical for the 2nd rig
too.

> 9.  How long have you been licensed?

28 years.

> 10.  What part of the hobby do you like the least?

The relaxation of code requirements by the FCC, and the ARRL's
evolution.

--
Lee Hiers, AA4GA
Cornelia, Georgia