[SECC] K4OGG Answers

Jay Pryor jpryor at uga.edu
Tue Sep 7 10:13:28 EDT 2004

>1.  What got you interested in ham Radio?

Boy Scouts.  I learned the morse code for a merit badge then found out Mr.
Greene down the street in Albany was a ham.  I went for a visit with one of
my friends and remember Mr. Greene was using a DX-100.  Don't remember the
receiver.  Then a cousin gave me his Hallicrafters S-38E and bit by bit I
was sucked in.

>2.  What is your favorite mode and why?

CW.  Part of my fondness for CW comes from the fact that one of my
grandfathers was a telegrapher for the Central of Georgia railroad in Albany.

>3. What got you interested in contesting?

When I started out I was active on the GSN and from that I participated in
the CD (Communications Department) parties and enjoyed them.

>4. What is your favorite contest and why?

ARRL-DX CW, WAE-CW and CWSS.  ARRL-DX CW  because I always operate low
power and that's a DX contest in which DX ops have their antennas pointed
toward us, which makes it easier for low power guys.  I also enjoy CQWW-CW
but it can be a difficult contest low power.  CWSS has always been a
favorite also since I've participated off and on since 1960.  WAE-CW is a
bit of a challenge because of the QTC exchanges but it is great fun for
CW.  I took first place for North America the first year they had a low
power category -- when no one knew that category had been added.

>5.  What is your current station line up? Rigs, antennas, etc.

Other than contesting most of my operating is from my car since I have a 60
mile commute to work.  Mobile setup is a FT-900 and Ham Sticks.

Home (contesting) QTH:
R1 is FT-1000MP
R2 is IC-765
Monoband antennas hanging from tree limbs for 20, 15 and 10M.  Wire for 40
and 80M, and an inverted L with elevated radials on 160M.  Rooftop A-3S
with the 40M mod.

>6. Besides radio, what do you do for fun?

Run.  I only participate in three races/year: Cooper River Bridge Run,
which is a 10k in Charleston; the Peachtree Road Race; and the Thanksgiving
half marathon.

>7.  What do you do for a living?

Work in the Government Relations Office at The University of Georgia,
dealing with local, state and federal legislators and their staffs.  I
started at UGA 15 years ago as special assistant to UGA President Chuck
Knapp, writing his speeches and handling his correspondence.

>8.  What improvements do you plan to make to your station before the CQ WW
>SSB contest in Oct 2004?

Must have been a typo.  You mean CQWW CW?  I'll probably try to get my wire
antennas a tad higher and try to put out a receive antenna for 40.

>9.  How long have you been licensed?

My check is 59.

>10.  What part of the hobby do you like the least?

To be painfully honest:  answering QSL cards.  So sue me.

73,

Jay, K4OGG