SECC Contest Circle to include W4OC & K4WI? (was: RE: Re: [SECC] Alabama QSO Party)

K4SB k4sb at bellsouth.net
Tue Sep 28 15:40:14 EDT 2004

"Matt Lee, K4AQ" wrote:
> Nope, no one asked me to move the map (to include Stn X and Stn Y).
> I believe K4SB calculated the distance between W4OC and K4WI and found
> that it exceeded 350 mi (2 x 175 mi).
>
> MS MapPoint does have a Distance Tool. The measured graphical distance
> between W4OC and K4WI is 360 miles. See web page at
> http://tenn-valley.com/secc/W4OC-K4WI_dx.htm.

Actually, my program calculated it to be 362.7 miles.

And now for a News FLASH from a major source
In other action Tuesday, the US Supreme Court agreed to hear an appeal
involving an
amateur radio operator who says the city of Rancho Palos Verdes,
Calif.,
unjustly denied him a permit to use a radio antenna for commercial
purposes.

At issue is whether the federal Telecommunications Act of 1996
provides for
money damages from city officials in cases of violations, or simply a
court
order requiring the city's compliance. The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of
Appeals
ruled the radio operator was entitled to compensation.