[SECC] GQP rules

Michael Condon mrcne4s at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 11 16:59:04 EDT 2005

All,
We may be the culprits in low SSB activity!
I suggest that SSB would be more desireable if that mode were not lumped with CW which has a bonus of points attached.
The bias is strongly in favor of CW, and some of the interest of the club runs that direction.
The "bias" is the bonus for CW and the final combination of SSB and CW in the overall results.
So, if I get twice as much for CW and the final score is the combination of CW and SSB, guess what suffers. This is a "Duh" moment.

I have heard disparaging remarks about "Phone" contests from club members.  I will probably get some mail on this too, but it is true, sorry.!

But, I believe that SSB currently is the best mode to "popularize" GQP to many who are not aware of the event.
Many now know about the CW activity and the attached overwhelming benefit from working CW.
When the "big" state parties are on the air, you hear a LOT of SSB activity.
We might look at their rules and see why. ( I have not done this yet though.)
And, I for one, am very interested in getting more pariticpation in SSB mode.

So, as the new Director of the event I propose some rethink on the situation.
Either remove the CW point bonus...
And/Or, separate the classes for CW, SSB, and Mixed

Else we may continue to move to a CW only event with limited participation.

 I like the change to counting GA counties for GA to GA contacts... makes sense, as the GA stations compete with GA stations.  This is actually a mostly neutral change, but the GA scores may be higher overall.  As the scorer of the event I would veto it as not making an overall difference while complicating the score process.
But, GA to GA activity increases would be good, and have a overflow to the overall event.

I do not like the DX multiplier idea, that makes it a DX contest in some ways, and favors those who do not concentrate on USA coverage.  Stacked antennae vs NVIS attempts for example.
And, as this would be for only GA stations, it seems distracting to the general purpose of the event.

I have also noted the gap from a home station to the requirement of 6 counties to be a rover.
My current log will be for a Home station, but I operated from 5 counties.  Let's make the rule to be "2 or more" counties for roving, and perhaps get more folks out on the road.

There are now about 50 logs in the hopper !!!!
Waiting to be processed.....

Mike, NE4S

ku8e at bellsouth.net wrote:

A suggestion for 2006 - We should change the multiplier rule from once per mode to one total.
It would also be nice to let GA stations work other GA stations for multiplier credit. Might be neat to
have each DXCC country be a multiplier as well.

The activity on SSB is poor - there is just no interest on that mode. It is impossible for non-GA
stations to get a clean sweep. Counting the counties once... if the rover activity is good it might be
possible...

Jeff

Please use mrcne4s at attglobal.net as my address.
Be well,